As a cancer survivor and the husband of Gabby Giffords, who was nearly killed in a shooting and owes her life to quality medical care, Mark has a deep appreciation for the importance of health care and coverage that you can rely on. Mark knows that he and Gabby were fortunate to have good insurance that covered the lifesaving care they needed, but that many Arizona families lack affordable health coverage.
Mark believes health care is a right. Every Arizonan should have quality health care that covers them if they get sick or need a specialist. 2.8 million Arizonans have a pre-existing condition, and none of them should lose their health insurance or be unable to attain insurance in the first place because of their pre-existing condition.
Even with reforms made to expand health care access, too many Arizonans lack coverage or are paying more out of pocket for doctor visits, deductibles, and especially prescription drugs. Mark will work to fix what is broken with our healthcare system by providing more options and competition to reduce costs. And all of that starts with ending partisan attacks that have driven up costs and threatened to take away coverage from more than 400,000 Arizonans who get their insurance through the expansion of Medicaid, known as AHCCCS, in Arizona.
- Ensuring every Arizonan has health insurance, and that those with pre-existing conditions are covered with insurance they can afford.
- A public health care option that would compete with private insurers.
- Taking on the pharmaceutical industry to lower the cost of prescription drug costs.
- More transparency for and oversight of hospital costs.
- Cracking down on bad actors responsible for the opioid epidemic.